January 23, 2018

Burnley sign winger Aaron Lennon from Everton

like dislike


Winger Aaron Lennon believes he still has plenty to offer after joining Burnley from Everton for a nominal fee, with six months left on his contract.

Lennon played 77 matches for the Toffees but the arrival of Theo Walcott last week pushed him further down the pecking order at Goodison Park and he is now looking for a fresh start at Turf Moor.

“I think I’ve still got a lot to offer. I am only 30 and I still want to play at the highest level,” the former England international, who missed the final three months of last season after mental health issues, told Clarets Player. “I have missed a bit of football in the last year or so and I just want to get back and play as much as possible.

“I’ve never had an easy game against Burnley and this year they have done fantastic. They deserve to be where they are. Hopefully, I can help the side continue that and have a good end to the season. The team has done brilliant. There are 14 games to go and hopefully we can kick on and maintain a place in the top half, which would be brilliant for the football club.”

Lennon scored nine goals in two and a half-years at Goodison after moving from Tottenham. His switch to Turf Moor extends his 14-year career in the top flight, which has seen him make 342 Premier League appearances, and came after a chat with Everton teammate Michael Keane, who made the move in the opposite direction in the summer.

“Burnley was the club I wanted to come to and I can’t wait to get started. I’m looking forward to playing here,” he added. “The club is moving forward and I want to hopefully play a part in that to keep it going in that direction. I spoke to Keano a few times. He had nothing but good words to say about the club and he wished me well.”

Meanwhile, Séamus Coleman is expected to return on Tuesday night for Everton’s U-23s against Portsmouth following a 10-month absence.

Eusebio Di Francesco has confirmed Edin Dzeko will start for Roma in Wednesday’s Serie A clash at Sampdoria, despite rumours of an imminent transfer to Chelsea.

The former Manchester City striker is a target for Blues boss Antonio Conte as he looks to bolster his attack, with Álvaro Morata struggling for form and Belgian forward Michy Batshuayi used sparingly in the starting line-up.

Recent reports have suggested a double-deal for Dzeko and left-back Emerson Palmieri is close to a conclusion, but the Giallorossi boss insists the Bosnian forward will lead the line at Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

During Tuesday’s pre-match press conference, Di Francesco said: “As things stand at the moment, he will (start). Obviously I’m going to have to assess things and see what frame of mind he’s in. I’ll speak to him about it. I have to make sure everyone is ready for it - including the players whose names are in the papers. As things stand, all the players who are here are available for this hugely important match we have to play in 36 hours’ time.”

Chelsea midfielder Kenedy had a medical on Tyneside on Tuesday morning as he closed in on a loan move to Newcastle.

The 21-year-old Brazilian headed for the north-east on Monday night after being given the green light to do so by Conte. Should the deal go through as expected, opposite number Rafael Benítez will get his hands on a player he courted during the summer as he looks to add pace and invention to the fight for Premier League safety.

Barcelona have confirmed Javier Mascherano is leaving the club after eight seasons, with the Argentina international expected to join Hebei China Fortune. A statement from Barça on Tuesday said there will be a farewell ceremony on Wednesday with Mascherano, club president Josep Bartomeu and the rest of the squad.

Winger Aaron Lennon believes he still has plenty to offer after joining Burnley from Everton for a nominal fee, with six months left on his contract.

Lennon played 77 matches for the Toffees but the arrival of Theo Walcott last week pushed him further down the pecking order at Goodison Park and he is now looking for a fresh start at Turf Moor.

“I think I’ve still got a lot to offer. I am only 30 and I still want to play at the highest level,” the former England international, who missed the final three months of last season after mental health issues, told Clarets Player. “I have missed a bit of football in the last year or so and I just want to get back and play as much as possible.

“I’ve never had an easy game against Burnley and this year they have done fantastic. They deserve to be where they are. Hopefully, I can help the side continue that and have a good end to the season. The team has done brilliant. There are 14 games to go and hopefully we can kick on and maintain a place in the top half, which would be brilliant for the football club.”

Lennon scored nine goals in two and a half-years at Goodison after moving from Tottenham. His switch to Turf Moor extends his 14-year career in the top flight, which has seen him make 342 Premier League appearances, and came after a chat with Everton teammate Michael Keane, who made the move in the opposite direction in the summer.

“Burnley was the club I wanted to come to and I can’t wait to get started. I’m looking forward to playing here,” he added. “The club is moving forward and I want to hopefully play a part in that to keep it going in that direction. I spoke to Keano a few times. He had nothing but good words to say about the club and he wished me well.”

Meanwhile, Séamus Coleman is expected to return on Tuesday night for Everton’s U-23s against Portsmouth following a 10-month absence.

Eusebio Di Francesco has confirmed Edin Dzeko will start for Roma in Wednesday’s Serie A clash at Sampdoria, despite rumours of an imminent transfer to Chelsea.

The former Manchester City striker is a target for Blues boss Antonio Conte as he looks to bolster his attack, with Álvaro Morata struggling for form and Belgian forward Michy Batshuayi used sparingly in the starting line-up.

Recent reports have suggested a double-deal for Dzeko and left-back Emerson Palmieri is close to a conclusion, but the Giallorossi boss insists the Bosnian forward will lead the line at Stadio Luigi Ferraris.

During Tuesday’s pre-match press conference, Di Francesco said: “As things stand at the moment, he will (start). Obviously I’m going to have to assess things and see what frame of mind he’s in. I’ll speak to him about it. I have to make sure everyone is ready for it - including the players whose names are in the papers. As things stand, all the players who are here are available for this hugely important match we have to play in 36 hours’ time.”

Chelsea midfielder Kenedy had a medical on Tyneside on Tuesday morning as he closed in on a loan move to Newcastle.

The 21-year-old Brazilian headed for the north-east on Monday night after being given the green light to do so by Conte. Should the deal go through as expected, opposite number Rafael Benítez will get his hands on a player he courted during the summer as he looks to add pace and invention to the fight for Premier League safety.

Barcelona have confirmed Javier Mascherano is leaving the club after eight seasons, with the Argentina international expected to join Hebei China Fortune. A statement from Barça on Tuesday said there will be a farewell ceremony on Wednesday with Mascherano, club president Josep Bartomeu and the rest of the squad.